Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Today in the car I experienced another "first" with Brynn. I can't decide if it's a good one or a bad one... maybe you can help. I checked the girls in the rearview mirror while on our way into Lexington this morning, and noticed Brynn appeared to be either sad or lost in thought. "Brynn?" I asked her. "Everything okay?" To which she said, "Yeah, I'm just thinking." Well, she's never said that before... but not too strange. "What are you thinking about?" I asked. She just kept staring out the window. "Nothing," she answered.

A little alarm went off in my head, but I tried not to panic. I just didn't expect this to start at five years old, this growing up to the point where I no longer have access to her every thought. What to do? I definitely could have made her tell me, but I decided this would not be the most relationship-building thing to do. So I didn't push it even though I really wanted to. Instead I freaked myself out thinking about how so many teenagers never talk to their parents. Healthy, huh?

In other news, the girls attracted some attention in Penney's this morning. We were racing through there in a mad search for Brynn's lost glove (so CUTE from a GAP sale about a month ago--ugh!), and the girls were singing. I actually didn't notice the song right away because, as I mentioned, MAD SEARCH. But then we passed this woman who looked at me and said, "How precious," with this big smile on her face. I figured I should pay more attention since these kids are mine after all. Hehe. They were singing that old Sunday School song "Be careful little feet where you go." Everyone knows that one, right? Well, from the elevator to the front door of the store, no less than three people either smiled big at me over it or actually commented after hearing what they were singing. I confess I usually quiet them down a bit in public places, but I didn't today. I figured something about it was kind of special, if even strangers were responding so sweetly. Besides, not only were they perfectly adorable (totally objective assessment), but it was a good reminder for myself and anyone else who might have heard them. After all, who among us doesn't need to be reminded once in a while to "be careful little tongue what you say" or "be careful little heart whom you trust," and especially, "For the Father up above is looking down in love." From the mouths of babes...


P.S. Yes, I'm still wondering what Brynn was thinking about.

2 comments:

Raye Scott said...

She'll probably spit it out at some point. She's growing up :/

I'm smiling just picturing them singing in the mall!

Mia Dawson said...

landon gives me that response a lot and i KNOW he's thinking about SOMETHING. don't they know they're suppose to tell their mama's everything?